Thursday, June 26, 2014

Eli Wallach said Yes I won the BAFTA I thought the British were very intelligent


Here are some personal quotes of  Eli Wallach

I was at the premiere of The Holiday (2006), a movie I did with Kate Winslet. Surrounded by all these beautiful young women. And after they left, [wife Anne Jackson] comes up and says to me, "Honestly, I don't know what they see in you.".

Well, I go to the theater today, and its curtain - there is no curtain in this play; the lights go down and go up - and we start. And I live this character for two hours. There are only two of us in the play. And It's a complete experience.

I never lost my appetite for acting.

Having the critics praise you is like having the hangman say you've got a pretty neck.

I've learned that life is very tricky business: Each person needs to find what they want to do in life and not be dissuaded when people question them.

But Clint I love, because Clint was my mentor. I knew nothing about making an Italian movie.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

When I saw the movie, I said, I wish I had heard the music. I would have ridden the horse differently.
And that movie was underrated - Nuts - because it deals with a terrible subject, but It's very well done.

And I did Batman, too. I did Mr. Freeze. I get more mail for him than anything I've ever done.

Even if I don't want to slow down, I'm slowing down.

All of these stories bounced around in my mind for a long time.

But I went to the University of Texas in the 30s, and while there I learned to ride. Mostly polo ponies.

And then the first was The Misfits, which I enjoyed very much, with Marilyn and Gable.

Everyone thinks acting is easy. It's far from easy, but it's the most gratifying thing I do.

I love to tell stories and this is my way of getting them down on paper.

I always end up being the evil one, and I wouldn't hurt a fly.

I never dreamed I would do Westerns.

I was an original member of the Actors' Studio.

I always wanted to tell stories and act.

The big secret in acting is listening to people.

My first Western was called The Magnificent Seven.

I've worked with wonderful actors like Marlon Brando and Henry Fonda.

One thing changes every evening: It's the audience, and I'm working my magic. I'm always learning from it.

The trouble with that movie is that you had to see Chinatown the day before you saw The Two Jakes.

What is it in my makeup that makes me grab any offer and fly around the world? Will I ever be satisfied? Can't I ever just rest?

I met my wife and, for the next ten years, we did no films at all. She did the first movie and then I did several after. My first movie was written by Tennessee Williams and directed by Kazan and was called Baby Doll.

This country has a complex about age. It's unbelievable. If you're over thirty, you've had it in this country.

Well, I've maybe gotten 200 requests for interviews about Marilyn, and I just decided I'm gonna do my own.

Yes, I won the BAFTA. I thought the British were very intelligent.

Well, I was getting a lot of money then, and I wasn't getting any Hollywood films, so I just did those. I'd always do a play in between. Whenever I ran low on funds, I'd always rush off to do a movie somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment